Moving Advice: How To Organize Your Move
If you are soon to be moving homes and are looking for advice on how to prepare for your moving day, we can help! The idea of moving into your new home can surely be exciting. However, moving can quickly become overwhelming both mentally and physically, especially when you do not have a solid plan in place.
Taking the time to prepare, plan and organize your move in advance can not only save you an abundance of time but can also minimize the stress on your big day. As a provider of moving supplies, The Packaging Company is proud to be a part of so many moving day stories across the country. In an effort to save our customers time, money and worry we have put together the following guide for organizing your move and getting ready for your new home!
Plan & Prepare Before The Move
One of the first and most important steps for a successful moving day is to take the time to organize and plan in detail all the steps of the moving process. This can help minimize the stress caused by last-minute to-do lists and ultimately lead to a smoother moving day. Below are some tips to help you get started:
- Start Early – Do not wait until the last minute to start packing your belongings and getting ready for your move. Starting early will mean that there is less stress from rushing around, you will still be able to relax throughout the busy and exciting process.
- Set a timeline – Take the time to plan out the months, weeks and days leading up to your move. There are many different ways in which you can break down and organize your moving schedule such as by room or by task. Be sure to include the following items on your timeline:
- Decluttering, cleaning and packing deadlines
- Booking of services (moving company, garbage disposal, etc.)
- Switching/cancelling and setting up utility companies and other services
- Appointments/visits from inspectors, agents, etc.
- Any other important to-do items that relate to your move and preparation
- Donate/throw out unwanted items – It is great to start fresh in your new home without having to worry about where to put items you do not need or will not use. Whether you go through this room by room or all at once, you should make decisions about what items you do not need or want to bring to your new home. This can include small items such as trinkets, decors and clothing to larger items such as furniture. Consider having a garage sale or donating these items to charities and other organizations.
- Organize your current home – While going through your inventory in your current home, take the time to organize the remaining items. Although it may seem redundant to organize your belongings which will soon be packed, it can save you a lot of time when it comes to unpacking your new home.
Packaging & Labelling Your Moving Boxes
It is vital that you take the time to properly organize and pack your belongings in order to avoid unwanted damage during the move. Having the right packaging materials can go a long way in protecting your valuables. Take a look at some of our packing tips for your move below:
- High-quality moving supplies – Having reliable packaging materials for your move can make or break your experience. You want to have an assortment of high-quality moving boxes and other packaging supplies that can help you get the job done and effectively protect your belongings.
- Pack by room – It is helpful to pack your boxes based on which room they will be going to in your new home. With that in mind, only place items in a box if they belong in that designated room. This will help streamline the unpacking process by allowing you and/or your helpers to put boxes directly into the desired spaces (see labelling below). Start by packing the least used areas of your home and be sure not to fully pack anything you may need again before the move.
- Do not overpack – Be sure not to overload your moving boxes as it can cause damage to the stuff inside and even cause your box to break under the weight. When packing heavier items, use smaller boxes and when packing light items, use large boxes.
- Fragile items – When packaging fragile items you want to ensure that you are using the appropriate supplies to cushion and protect your valuables, be sure to label these boxes clearly to remind yourself and helpers about the contents in the box!
- Furniture and bulky items – Moving your furniture can be quite a challenge, however, it is crucial that you properly protect both your furniture and the walls of your home from potential damage.
- Pack an essentials box – Consider packing a box (or several) with essential items that you will need on your first day/night in your new home. This can help eliminate the need to dig through several boxes to find items and gives you the opportunity to just relax and take in all there is to enjoy in your new home! Include items such as
- Pillows and bedding
- Toiletries and towels (shower curtains/rings if needed in the new home)
- Phone chargers and other electronic devices
- Toilet paper and paper towel
- Household cleaning supplies and trash bags
- Clothing and shoes
- Box cutters and basic tools (for unpacking/assembling)
- Dishes (or disposables cutlery/dishware until unpacked)
- Anything else you may need such as pet supplies, etc.
Labelling your boxes effectively can save you hours of time when it comes time to unpack and organize your new home. The best way to label your boxes is by creating a system that works for you. Below are a few ideas that can help you organize your boxes and make your moving day easier:
- Color code your rooms – Designate each room with a color and apply color-coded stickers to each box that belongs in that room, another great option is to use color-coded packing tape.
- Number your boxes – Put individual numbers on each of your boxes and make note of how many boxes are packed for each room (example 3/10), this can help you ensure that each box is accounted for at your new home.
- Make a list – Have a master list that includes the details of every room (color, how many boxes, etc.). Consider including a description of what is in each numbered box as a way to save yourself time when looking for something that may be packed away.
By taking the time to prepare the months, weeks and days before your move you can save yourself a tremendous amount of time and stress. Make your moving day as exciting as it should be by being proactive and organized! Be sure to have lots of help and support from your friends, family and maybe even a professional moving service (especially in the last few days).
Looking For High-Quality Moving Supplies? Visit The Packaging Company!
If you are planning to move in the near future, you should invest in the necessary moving supplies that can help get your valuables from point A to point B without any damage. At The Packaging Company, we specialize in high-quality, affordable moving supplies that are sure to get the job done. Visit our site today and browse our large selection of moving supplies to get yourself prepared for your moving day!